SPX LOOT AND POST CON UPDATE!
So probably first time ever I’m doing a con haul photo but here’s the goodies that I got over the weekend! I cannot wait to get to these!!!
- If the Shoe Fits by Ann Uland and Emily Willis (beautiful water art)
- Lost Nova books 1 and 2 by Stephanie B (been meaning to get to this one for a while now)
- Grave Impressions by Zan (film noir yaoi. why the hell not! please only 18+ if you’re gonna check this out.)
- Godsend by Jesse Bausch and Meg Gandy (dunno what this is about but the art is gorgeous so I’ll find out!)
- The two lovely art prints were given to me in a trade with squidsalad during the Tumblr meet up! Her art is so pretty… next chance I get I will pick up her comic.
- Hemlock books 1-4 by Josceline Fenton (Based on a Scandinavian Fairy Tale. I caught a glimpse of her art while trying to run quickly back to my table from the bathroom in hopes to not catch my eye on something and want to buy it before making more money. Of course that failed. Came back and bought the whole set. I can’t get enough of her art style. So excited to read this!)
- Legend of Zelda fancomic created by the Zeldanime Team with effin gorgeous art. This was a bit of an odd purchase as I was in a conversation with an attendee at my table and we were talking about Zelda and then he showed me this book that he and the rest of his team members put together and I pretty much bought it from him then and there. Because. Zelda.
So general summary of the weekend:
Travelling to and from the con… wasn’t so great. We weren’t able to acquire any driving help so we went the old school way of hauling everything by transit. Being that I’m the only one capable of handling heavy bags, there’s no choice but for me to take on most of the weight. I know I really pushed myself more than I should this time around so I’m really glad to go see a chiropractor tomorrow, and I’m still super exhausted from the whole ordeal. Needless to say, I reeeeeeeeeally would like to not do this way again if we can help it.
But the actual con itself just… FANTASTIC! It’s been like.. two years since going to SPX and I forget how much I love this con! The people were so nice both staff and attendees and the staff really treats the artists like… iunno human beings! They had a member come around asking if we were alright and if we needed anything like water or what not. They provide garbage cans (seriously! do not take this for granted!) And I love how they labelled the islands with bright-ass pink balloons. It’s adorable and makes the room feel like one giant party.
Saturday was slow at first… to the point where I was getting really down if this rate continued, I wouldn’t be able to make back costs at all. We did have a pretty high cost this time around, which I wasn’t planning on making back but at least hoped to make back a good percentage of it. But halfway through it suddenly started to pick up and I’m glad to say that by the end of the con we pretty much broke even or close to it (still have to calculate it) which was my goal in the first place! But what I’m more ecstatic about was that despite bringing both original work and some of my anime con fanart, what sold most were my original comics, jewelry and accessories. I cannot say enough how happy this makes me! So for those of you who supported my comic, sincerely thank you! I’m glad to report that out of the comics I brought, Echoes of Arcadia only has two left in stock and my Hannineko-chan comic completely sold out! And both my dragon necklaces and Snakes with Hats hairclips found new homes to go to! This really helps me to rejuvenate faith in myself and my work and drive to continue pushing forward and working harder. So thank you SPX for being that awesome con that never lets me down!
On top of that I’ve gotten to see so many friends there, and ones that I haven’t seen for a while. Got to talk to some great new faces as well. Over all I think I will continue going to this con whether I get a table or not. Because exhibitor or attendee, it never fails to continue inspiring me.
And I just want to add one last shoutout to purplerubyred whom we met and roomed with at SPX. Thanks for being such a swell roomie! I enjoyed spending the weekend with you. (and your cookies were delicious) =^__^=